Saturday, June 21, 2008

From Hearing to Mere Trust.

Some people might say that it's impossible to hear from God, especially in the sense of His voice communicating directly into your mind.

Being the logical and rational being that I am, I have always assumed this. Then, something, among many other recent things happened...

On Tuesday night, I heard a distinct voice.

It spoke to me in a gentle and reassuring spirit the words, "I have a plan for your life; it's not what you think, but it's good."

When I heard this statement, my initial reaction to it was one of disbelief. How can God say something to me without using scripture, an experience, or other human beings? How do I know it's not the devil trying to deceive me through the use of my thoughts? How do I know its not just my own thought, such as my flesh?
Then I thought it through a little bit, and came to the conclusion that it has to be God because right now, this statement doesn't make much sense to me. And when something doesn't make complete sense to you, you can trust that it's God because His thoughts are not our thoughts. When Satan puts a thought into my mind, or when a thought is explicitly from me [the flesh], it usually is phrased in such a way that allows me to still have control over my life, and it never has me trusting in its plan because the plan is always attained by my own means.
However, the sentence exclaimed above allows for me to have no control; It only contains trust. When something requires trust, it asks for faith. When faith is needed in something [such as your future], it must be God; for only He requires our belief. And that's how I know this voice was in fact the voice of God.
Thus, God still speaks, and yes, He's immensely personal.



-burton 261E

1 comment:

brittany said...

burton, that's really rad you made this distinction. know that said utterance is DEFINITELY from the LORD! satan is not capable of causing good, there's no possibility other than to devour and destroy. based on what you heard, that's a legit indication of something beautiful, something GOD-derived.